Who are we?
The Maine Harvest Credit Project is a joint initiative of the Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association (MOFGA) and Maine Farmland Trust (MFT) to create Maine Harvest Federal Credit Union – a specialized, federally-insured credit union focused on Maine’s small farms and food businesses. Since starting our work in 2013, we have completed extensive primary research, garnered strong stakeholder support, and have raised $2.4 million in grant commitments to cover start-up capital and expenses. We have also met with regulators and vendors, filed most of our regulatory applications, and are now ready to hire!
We are creating a unique, mission-driven, community development credit union. PMHFCU will promote the continued growth of Maine’s small farms and food businesses which are creating a cleaner environment, stronger rural economies and a healthier population. Our work has attracted national attention and we hope it can serve as a model for other states and regions.
PMHFCU will be an equal opportunity employer.
More on our work at www.maineharvestcp.org.
What is the job?
We are looking for a part-time Chief Operations Officer (COO) to work with our CEO and Chief Lending Officer (CLO) to manage the core operational, finance and compliance functions of PMHFCU. We are expecting to be open 3 days a week to the public, operating under a very specialized business model focused on a limited number of deposit and loan products. The COO would be on site at our office in Unity three days a week.
Who are we looking for? Someone who:
- is passionate about and enjoys working directly with small farms and food businesses all over Maine and shares our mission and those of MOFGA and MFT.
- has a minimum 5 years credit union or community bank operations or finance experience, ideally with a smaller institution and performing a wide range of functions. Experience working with Episys is a plus.
- has hands-on, direct experience with as many aspects of CU operations as possible from back office to front office, finance, and cash management functions.
- will thrive in a start-up environment, working with a small team and with a wide range of stakeholders.
- will pass standard credit, background and experience checks required by the National Credit Union Administration (NCUA). Please note that the NCUA will want to see someone with a operations and/or finance background in this position.
- strong MS office skills, particularly in building and maintaining spreadsheet based financial models
- can start sometime between March 1 and June 1 with some flexibility. Also, there is the possibility of part-time consulting prior to official part-time employment.
What can we offer? The opportunity to:
- be part of creating a unique financial institution that aims to become a cornerstone institution of Maine’s growing local food scene.
- develop and work in a high-impact business that has received national recognition for innovation and can serve as a template for other states and regions.
- work in a flexible environment where you have a significant role in shaping your own job and will be appreciated.
- be part of a small group of committed individuals who are fun to work with.
- enjoy vacation time and significant work flexibility.
- receive hourly-based compensation commensurate with experience.
To apply or ask questions?
If you are interested, please send a cover email and resume to email@example.com. We will try to acknowledge receipt and keep you posted on this search.